Author: Kyla Schnellert • Date: January 27, 2019 • Appears in:
Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies
I can't take full credit for this recipe, you can find the original here. I did, however, make a couple of modifications, mostly just subbing in coconut oil and reducing the baking time, so enjoy!
- 1 19oz can reduced sodium black beans, well rinsed and drained (or dried beans that have been soaked and cooked)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (+ a bit more for greasing pan)
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 8″x 8″ pan with parchment paper and grease with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except chocolate chips. (**make sure you've rinsed beans before doing this**)
- Blend until smooth in consistency.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the top of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. (I've had varying success with this time, sometimes it needs up to 32 minutes, depending on the oven. Trial & error I suppose.)
- Allow them to cool completely in the pan before removing, cutting and enjoying the brownies
You can top these a million ways. They're delicious plain, or with a bit of nutella on top, or peanut butter, or chocolate drizzle or nuts or icecream or whatever you can come up with!
These also only have around 100 calories per brownie so that totally justifies eating the entire pan all on your own, right? RIGHT?